Try this simple and hearty soup with hints of cinnamon, clove and coriander. A no-brainer in terms of health benefits – it’s high fibre, loaded with plant protein and antioxidants. It’s also quite easy to prepare and keeps in the fridge for lunches and pre-made dinners. I highly recommend this meal for those who need healthy lunch ideas that are tasty and nourishing.
This recipe will make about six meal-sized portions, or 8 – 10 small portions. It keeps in the fridge for about 5 days.
Hearty Moroccan Chickpea & Pasta Soup
Try this simple and hearty soup with hints of cinnamon, clove and coriander.
- 2 onions
- 3 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp ginger
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup brown chickpeas cooked or canned
- 1 cup kidney beans cooked or canned
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup shell pasta make recipe gluten free by using gluten free shells
- 1/2 cup tomato
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Handful of cilantro minced + a little extra for topping
- Handful of kale washed and shredded (optional)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, sauté until softened, about 5 mins.
- Add garlic, ginger and spices and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and lentils, stirring and sautéing until tomatoes soften and expel their juices.
- Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, chickpeas and pasta and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes, until pasta is al dente.
- Remove from heat, add fresh lemon juice, serve.
*I used brown chickpeas in this recipe but if you cannot find them, swap them out for more common chickpeas.
Tried this recipe?Share and tag @mtlveg!