Looking for easy healthy recipes to keep you warm during winter? This nourishing soup will give you the warm fuzzies while tickling your tongue with tomato tang. It’s got oregano which is not only one of the healthier herbs but one of my favourite seasonings. This soup is also guaranteed to fill you up with protein and iron-rich lentils and spinach. It’s entirely vegan minus the [optional] sprinkle of parmesan which you can easily sub for vegan parm or nutritional yeast. I mix it up depending on what I’ve got in the fridge. This recipe also pairs fabulously with a side of sourdough toast. It keeps well in the refrigerator for about a week and is perfect for lunches at the office. Enjoy and please let me know how you liked it.
Easy Tomato Lentil Soup with Spinach
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1 can (796 ml) tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cups brown lentils use one can or cook 2/3 cup of dried lentils
- 2 cups spinach Fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, sauté garlic and onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add oregano, potato, tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until potato softens.
- Using an electric hand blender, blend hot soup over the stove. Alternatively, you can allow mixture to cool and transfer to a standing blender before returning to the same pot.
- Once the mixture is blended, return to medium heat, add lentils and frozen spinach, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes until spinach is entirely incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Turn off heat, divide into eight small portions or four large. Sprinkle with parmesan, vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast [optional].